To begin...
The time I have spent in Singapore has gone by incredibly fast. I can't believe it's been almost 3 weeks! I have me so many nice people, started a job I know that I will enjoy, and I am finally with Andy in the SAME city!
The people: Andy and I have been participating in what I like to refer to as "blind dates" with people we have been set up with by friends or family. We have been on 3 so far and are scheduled to have another one on Friday night. Should be a good time! I have not met any other Americans yet but am still hopeful for a friend to watch/listen to college football with. On Sunday a man in a ROLL TIDE tshirt walked by the restaurant I was eating lunch at and I literally chased him down and went into a rant about desperately needing to know where I can watch college football come the fall. He looked at me blankly and said he just randomly had the shirt because he had visited someone in South Carolina. Very confusing conversation actually :)
The job: My teaching job started out a little rocky as the girl I was due to shadow had to bail out early, leaving me with 18 children and no lesson plan at all for my first week. It was not her fault because she is also starting a new job within the school that was demanding more of her. I guess it was a sink or swim situation and I think I did a little of both, with a lot of scrambling in between. The children have asked me many times, "Ms Grace Mills, why you do not speak Mandarin?" It is very sweet they like to call me by my first and last name even though I've explained that Ms. Grace would be fine. They seem to prefer "Ms Grace Mills." This week we are discussing Singapore National Day (like our 4th of July) and I obviously had no idea where to begin or even what day it was on. So last weekend I did A LOT of reading trying to educate myself before I try to educate them. Wish me luck!!
Same city as Andy! We are really enjoying exploring this amazing city together. We have been eating a ton and eating some more. The food is so good! And cheap! Good combination I think :) Last weekend we went wakeboarding with a few friends we had met on one of our blind dates and had a great time. We were in the waterway between Malaysia and Singapore and the water was pretty dirty, but fine as long as you don't take too much of it in during a fall!
We have signed up to be part of a tennis club together which I'm looking forward to and both believe we've made the right decision coming to Singapore :)
More to come (I hope!)
Great blog Ms Grace Mills. Don't you mean that you are hopeful for ANOTHER friend to watch college football with (besides me)?
ReplyDeleteAndy
LOVE it Gracie! You are so cute! That is too funny about the guy with the bama shirt on.... south carolina? He has no clue! Hopefully you find somewhere to watch the games... if not I can always record on my vhs and send to you! lol! I am glad you went wakeboarding... as Patrick said, It is a big sport over there! I love you and miss you soooooo stinking much! can I call you???
ReplyDeleteLOVE that you started a blog! I read in my Travel & Leisure magazine there is this amazing Marina place you must go visit. Let me know if you have heard of it...please post pictures soon!! I miss you and Andy too!
ReplyDeleteHi Hon, When are you going to post another message on your blog?
ReplyDeleteMiss Gracey! So happy to hear things are fun and well. Please call me as soon as you get a chance....It isn't possible to go any longer w/o talking to you! Send Andy my love. xoxox, autie
ReplyDeletePS: Don't hold SC accountable for that man's actions...he obviously was just trying to make a buck. We all know Clemson is the best college football team in the country! GOOOO TIGERS! :)